Director of International Research
The Director of International Research directs and supervises staff responsible for providing evidence and research to support the international tobacco control advocacy efforts of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. The Director leads in the conceptualization and development of high-quality policy materials — fact sheets, policy briefs, alerts, and reports. The Director and research staff stay abreast of global research related to tobacco control. Collectively, the team serves as a resource for country teams and advocates in the field and provides technical assistance and support to grantees, partners, international NGOs, tobacco control allies, the media, the public, and policy-makers. The Director works with the Communication staff to ensure the accuracy and quality of information on the international edition of the Tobacco-Free Kids website. The Director participates as a member of the International Management Team and assists in shaping the strategic direction of the International Program. The Director reports to the Executive Vice President Global Programs.
- Work as a key member of international team to develop strategies for policy change in targeted countries and to identify resources and materials required to implement these strategies.
- Supervise the development and maintenance of a set of international fact sheets, reports and other resources to provide the evidence-base for advocacy efforts and maintain accurate, timely information on the international website.
- Develop and oversee policy-related research projects, such as public opinion polls, compliance studies and air quality studies in order to inform strategy development and/or direct advocacy.
- Ensure evidence-based responses to rapid requests for information from international advocates, the media, and policy-makers.
- Supervise the work of the Industry Accountability Project in its efforts to discredit the tobacco industry and support strategies to counter industry tactics to stop tobacco control policies.
- Oversee the preparation of reports and other documents about Tobacco-Free Kids’s international tobacco control advocacy efforts for funders.
- Work with Initiative partners to support the effective dissemination and use of adult tobacco surveillance data to support and drive policy change in selected countries.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Executive Vice President, Global Programs.
- In-depth knowledge of tobacco control policies and programs and the global evidence base underlying them.
- Knowledge of research methods, including design and analysis, for small scale policy-related research projects and for evaluation and translation of research results for use in tobacco control policy formulation and advocacy.
- Experience in using research and evidence to drive policy advocacy.
- Familiarity with the international tobacco control research community.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Master in Public Health or equivalent degree required.
- Ten years experience in public health or related field.
- Foreign language skills preferred.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity. No phone calls please.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids works with more than 130 organizational partners, including public health, medical, education, civic, corporate, youth and religious organizations. The Campaign does not accept any government or tobacco industry funding.